Monday, August 24, 2009

My Friend From 2nd Grade


This is how we have described each other for 28 years now. Ok, well, Sarah Grace says "grade 2". Either way, we have known each other a very long time. Her family came down to Shreveport from Prince Edward Island, Canada for a year and we became best friends. We were pen pals for 7 years after that when my grandparents were gracious enough to buy me a plane ticket to go visit her. It was my first time to ever fly and I was going by myself. We had a great time and PEI is gorgeous! We saw Anne of Green Gables and called ourselves "kindred spirits" just as Anne did with her friends.


My second year in college Sarah Grace came down to visit me. That next fall she was enrolled at Centenary as well and we enjoyed being in the choir together as well as Chi Omega. Sadly, after graduation, she moved back to Canada, married and had two beautiful little girls. During those 12 years, I have only seen her twice.


This past weekend brought her to Dallas for a relative's wedding and lucky me, I got to spend a good deal of time with her. She came over for dinner on Friday where Cavett realized just how silly SG was and I gave her a "stinky cheese" book that I had run across at Half Price Books. We had lunch on Saturday with Anna and then it was off to get our nails done and her hair. The really sad part is that I never pulled out my camera during this time. I guess we were having too much fun re-connecting. I vowed that Saturday night after the wedding we would get some pics, but we were never able to meet up. And, Monday it was the same story. But, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that no matter how much time passes between visits, phone calls, or emails we are still "kindred spirits". Love you, Sarah Grace!

No comments: