Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Kendrick's 2nd Birthday Cake

Growing up, my Mom and Aunt Minette were queens at making birthday cakes. They made all kinds--helicopters, easter eggs, trains--you name it, they could create it. I don't ever remember having a store bought cake, unless it was a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake. I vowed that when I had kids, I would make theirs as well. So far my track record is 4 out of 5. I just couldn't get Cavett's 3rd done since Kendrick was still a wee one.

I have done a dog, a monkey, Spiderman, and a tiered elephant. Oh, and I also made a spider cake for my brother Jonny since he was in town for his birthday when Cavett was having his Spiderman birthday.
















I finished Kendrick's 2 year old birthday cake tonight. I must say, I am very proud of this one. It is my first time to work with this product and it was fantastic! Drum roll please......























I actually haven't quite finish, as I will write "Happy 2nd Birthday, Kendrick" on the lily pad and give the fish eyes. Now here's the story on how it came to be. I tend to be inspired by the invitations that I find. I have been using Vista Print for cheap, cute ones and this year was no different. I found a cute card with blue and green fish on it and since this was to be a pool party, I thought fish were appropriate. From here I found a web site with a picture of the cake I wanted to copy.

The problem was that I needed a cake that would transport and icing that would not melt since we were heading back to Houston for the party. I thought back to the Food Network cake decorating challenge that I watched while I was in San Francisco and they used rice crispy treats as the actual cake. Bingo! Who doesn't like rice crispy treats and I don't have to worry about it losing shape or tiers sliding off.

As for icing, I here you. You are saying, "Ugh, fondant. Looks pretty, tastes like cardboard." I know. I looked online for recipes and the first one that came up was for marshmallow fondant. Of course, the perfect solution! It would stick to the rice crispies and still taste good, in fact it compliments the flavor of the cake!

The actual marshmallow fondant was not terribly easy to make, (it is melted marshmallow, you know) but the recipe made a ton. I made 2 batches to be on the safe side and I still have tons left over. Fondant is way easy to decorate with. I was so amazed. I can only imagine that the real thing is even easier.


So, here's to Kendrick and his 2 year's of life. He is really growing into his personality and I can't wait to see what the next year holds for him. What a sweetie!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Looks fantastic! Happy Birthday, Kendrick!

Candace said...

Yum. Save some for me, Martha Stewart. :)

And happy birthday sweet Kendrick!!!

We love you!

Candace said...

PS- You are more than welcome to make all my kid's birthday cakes forever. :)

Tami said...

Wow - those are great! I really love the blue one. Mind if I steal that design? I also make cakes for my kids on their birthdays - but you are WAY better at it than I am.