Friday, November 14, 2008

Turkey.


Some of you know that I am all about turkey at Thanksgiving, but not just any turkey. For years I have eaten a Greenberg Turkey for Thanksgiving and sometimes at Christmas too. One year while Stephen was in dental school and we were flat broke I got a free turkey for buying a certain amount of groceries from they grocery store. I cooked it, but is was so dry it was unbelievable. In fact, as I was cutting the dried out carcass, I sliced my finger with the knife so bad that I had to take a Valium for the pain. I probably should have had stitches.





Anyway, back to Greenbergs.....This is a smoked turkey from Tyler, TX. They ship and far distances, too. It comes to you fully cooked. You can eat it right then or freeze it for later. This is the first year that I ordered my very own. I ordered it just for me and my immediate family--Stephen and Cavett. I know, its a little selfish, but this is the most amazing turkey EVER, hands down. I fight people for the peppery parts!


We decided to not save it for later and carved it up tonight for an early Thanksgiving. Cavett has never eaten turkey, but tonight he tried it and it was like history repeating itself. My Mom never cooked a turkey, my grandmother never cooked turkey. We always ordered a Greenberg. I remember sitting in the kitchen watching my Dad/Mom (depending on the year) carve the Greenberg. I remember not liking turkey, but at some point the time came when I recognized the difference between turkey and a Greenberg. From there on out, you cannot keep your hands away from picking the meat off this bird and stealing a bite. Cavett must have had at least a quarter of a pound. Every time we glanced at him he was "stealing" another bite. I wish I could say the same for Kendrick. But, his day will come soon enough. I foresee Greenberg turkeys being in business for centuries!








It's not too late to order your very own. Check out http://www.gobblegobble.com/. However, if you live in the Tyler, TX area, be prepared to stand in a long line to pick yours up. They don't ship in town. But, if you live there, you would already know about this turkey!!!!

5 comments:

Candace said...

Maybe I should get my own this year. Not a bad idea at all... I can just taste it now. Yum....

Holly said...

Sounds great! I don't like to cook turkey on Thanksgiving, either. If I'm hosting, I usually order Honey Baked. I know you are probably gasping for breath at that statement considering how much you love your Greenbergs, LOL! I love that their Web site is called gobblegobble.com!!!

The Richards Family said...

Okay you made me look. They sounds so yummy, but one question. I am use to a hot piece of turkey, and this says serve at room temp or cool, but can be heated. What do you guys do??

Anonymous said...

LOVE those Greenbergs!!! Can't wait to eat ours this year. I'm also so glad that I don't live in Tyler anymore so I won't be in that line on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Emily said...

All of us "kids" STILL fight over the peppery turkey pieces! YUM!