Thursday, September 25, 2008

Forks and Spoons

Our lives are slowly getting back to normal after being "Iked." Yesterday we said good-bye to our last house guest, even thought they still don't have power; they now have a generator. However, Dad is now gone and is teaching in Las Vegas for the week.

Last night I decided to let loose. It's about time to let Kendrick explore the wonderful world of utensils. I approach this with much fear and trepidation. I hate messes and cleaning them up, but I know it must be done. So, I gave Kendrick yogurt in a bowl with a spoon. I feed him half of the bowl and then I let him have at it for the other half. He didn't do too bad, and I did help him every now and then. We ended up with only one splat on the floor. He loved every slimy moment of it!



Today it was Mac and Cheese on a fork. Although it was easy to prick and get several on the fork, he gave up and used his fingers. It will come, I just need to be patient and accept the fun mess that he makes.
PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

15 comments:

Susan said...

That's a tough one! Austin still has to be reminded to use a spoon. Ugh!
Good luck!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

It's funny, it's almost like they get it when they get it (and then it catches on like kindling). What a cutie!

Cecily R said...

He's practicing with string beans (that's from one of my favorite children's books and I always think of it when my kids are learning to eat with utensils)!!!

I love that you are letting him learn and be messy in the process. Especially since the mess bothers you...oh the things we do for our kids!!!

Great shots. You'll be so happy you have them when he's big and doesn't need a bath after every meal!

Chris said...

It will come. And it will be messier.
Bravo for moving forward.

Emily said...

Lila STILL prefers to eat rice & beans with her fingers, but don't tell Miss Manners! The mess still makes me crazy.

Sarah Brooks said...

Oh, I wait waaaaaaaaay to long to let my kids start using utensils. But those are some priceless pictures.

tiarastantrums said...

so cute - my baby girl insisted on using forks and spoons almost as soon as she was eating! She is the baby of course and wanted to be like everyone else!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Such great captures of a wonderful milestone! Great job! It looks like he really enjoyed the spoon!

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum! Cute photos!

AutoSysGene said...

Learning to use utensils is such a big step for out little ones, huh?

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

What a fun milestone! Good luck with everything :-)

Heather said...

What a cutie pie. Looks like you got lucky...he's not too messy.

Anonymous said...

I hate messes too and the first time around I held out a long while. With my son I gave in a lot sooner. Life is messy, but I enjoy the messy pictures.

Wendy said...

Great record of the new event! He will catch on quickly and all will be right with the world! at least in the feeding department!

Falcone Family said...

I just love these photos of him!