Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of School



Today was Cavett's first day of 3 year old Pre-School (a.k.a.-Mother's Day Out). He got to wear his new shoes, always exciting. We took pictures this morning and he was in quite the mood. Hope you get a kick out of these.

At this point, the first day is not very traumatic. This is his 3rd year at this school and he knows almost everybody in his class. One of his teachers is our neighbor who lives down the street from us. He's only going 3 days a week. Now, when he starts going everyday, all day....that is a big deal. I am really excited for him this year, many changes. No longer will he take a nap and he will also be having an extra 30 minute class on Fridays to learn Spanish.

So I picked him up at 2 this afternoon. He was covered from head to toe--literally--in sand. I really try to not ask yes or no question, but sometimes, that is the best that you can do. Here is basically how our conversation went on the way home.

M: "What did you do at school today?"

C: "I don't know."

M: "Did you go to chapel?" (That's the usual morning routine on Wednesdays.)

C: "No."

M: "What books did you read?"

C: "I read Bob the Builder. They read Piggies and David."

M: "Oh, like David and Goliath?"

C: "No, David goes to school."

M: "I see. And tell me about the Piggies."

C: starts looking at his fingers and counting, "What's this one called?" pointing to his pointer finger.

M: "It's your pointer finger" thinking, it must have been a finger book.

M: "How were your shoes today? Did they help you run fast?"

C: "Yeah, I ran."

M: "What friends did you play with today?"

C: "Caroline. And, I played with the boys. Not the girls."

M: Good, I'm thinking. "Did you eat all your lunch?"

C: "No, I only ate part of my corn dog."

M: "What about your grapes?"

C: "No, I didn't eat them."

M: "What did you eat for snack today?"

C: "Animal cookies like at Kendrick's birthday party!"

M: "Oh, animal crackers. I see." No wonder, I think.

M: "Did you play nice today? Were you kind to your friends?"

C: "Yes.......Silence.....not just one."

M: "Did you hit or push some one?"

C: "Yes, the one with Thomas the Train T-shirt, Matthew. I just wanted to do the puzzle."

So we insue the conversation about being kind, etc. At least he was honest, eventually. I'll thank God for that and we will keep working on it. Our apologies to Matthew. After we got home it was to the bathtub and down for a nap. What I don't understand is why he is still awake right now. Shouldn't he be worn out?

4 comments:

Falcone Family said...

Sure doesn't look three...what a young man! Hurray for school being back in session! He's sure to have a blast.

Candace said...

Third from the top picture... awesome!!!

Emily said...

He's all grown up! So cute!

Holly said...

Those expressions are priceless!