Thursday, August 11, 2011

Got Basil?

Everything else in Texas may be dying and turning brown due to the excessive days of 100+ temperatures and no rain, but I have one thing growing like crazy.  BASIL.  I actually shouldn't be surprised.  I planted a new plant this year thinking that it is an annual and wouldn't come back.  I was wrong.  Way wrong.  Either it seeded itself well or last year's root system didn't die off.  I have it growing in at least 4 different bunches and around the pool equipment. 

Today, I harvesedt two batches.  About 12 cups of leaves.  The plan-PESTO.  I should have enough pesto for the entire year.  Here's the classic recipe. 

  • 4 cups fresh basil leaves

  • 1/2 cup olive oil

  • 1/3 cup pine nuts

  • 2 garlic cloves

  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

  • 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt


  • Can't wait to have it on my grilled Ahi tonight!

    1 comment:

    Ms. Emmelyn Johnson said...

    Here's another pesto recipe option! http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-pesto-burgers-dairy-free-option-454142