Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Weekend

What a weekend it was!  And, where was my camera?  I just didn't bring it out around the pool.  Nobody likes pics in a swimsuit anyway....

We started out with the office coming over on Thursday to have a de-briefing of their trip to Las Vegas and ended with hamburgers and pool time. Friday, our dear friends, the Alexanders came in for a weekend visit, so you know we had to get the "old gang" together on Saturday.




Sunday, was Renee's step-son's birthday party and the boys were invited to head down the largest inflatable water slide I'd ever seen.  That evening gave us some reprieve from all the hoop-la with a good night's sleep.

On actual Independence Day, we headed to McKinney to catch a parade.  It has been years since I have been a part of a 4th of July parade and my bones were just aching for those good old days at the farm in Henderson, being pulled in the wheel-barrow-esque "Jennifer Buggy" behind a tractor, or the later years when I was dressed up like the Statue of Liberty and pulled in a bigger trailer behind yet another tractor.  I thought I wouldn't want to go back to that time (you know--adolescence can be so embarrassing, especially when you are the Statue of Liberty with torch and all.)  But, I miss it for my kiddos.  I wish they could have experienced the farm at the 4th.  My grandmother knew how to really do it right. (I really wish I had some scanned pictures of the whole thing.)


The McKinney parade was different.  There were no tractors with wheelbarrow trailers, but we still had some memorable moments with our kids.  Kendrick was talking to everyone who came by, made friends with the boy sitting next to us, waving at all the floats and yelling "Happy 4th of July!"

 It was so much so that he received a flag from one car for his efforts.  Stephen declared that one day he might be the mayor!  Cavett did get a little jealous and hung by my side.  After it was over he stated he was a little jealous that Kendrick got a flag and he didn't, but the truth came out.  Cavett is already hitting that embarrassing stage. 

That evening we were to head up the street to the cul-de-sac to meet our neighbors.  We have lived here 2 years, and have yet to meet many at all.  It was to start at 5:30.  All I could think was 100+ temperatures with no shade????  No way!  So, we offered our backyard.  We met some really great neighbors and even have a new babysitter to call if Jessica is ever busy. 

At 9:30 we headed to the top of the hill and were able to see the Plano fireworks in the distance as well as the McKinney fireworks.  However, the ultimate blessing was God's fireworks of lightning in the clouds every now and then.  No rain, just a glorious display of His power and might. 

God bless America and more importantly America, bless God!

1 comment:

Allison@Slice of Heaven said...

Sounds like a busy but fun one!!!!