Sunday, December 6, 2009

Isaiah 9


After a long weekend full of travel, cleaning, packing and unpacking several times, we arrived at home just in time for the kids to have dinner and go straight to bed. There wasn't much time today for much else, but we got in what was important for the day: our Advent reading from Isaiah 9. This prophet had so much to say which pointed the way to Jesus. It is a favorite Christmas verse and one that was highlighted earlier this weekend.


After we read it and talked about what each name meant, we taught Cavett the melody to Handel's version in Messiah. For me, that is how I memorize scipture, through music and as I read the Bible today, I end up singing at some point during my study. I guess I need to pull out my entire copy of Handel's Messiah and throw it in the CD player. It would be a nice change. Anyway, I'm off track....


So today, we prepare our hearts for the coming of Jesus. Not just his birth as an infant on earth, but for His return.


"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6-7