Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Independence


Cavett has found his independence. Lately, it's been "I want to do it myself. I'll do it. Etc..." It's everything from opening the car door for himself (and yes, I mean the Expedition) to getting the peanut butter out of the pantry. He has even taken on responsibilites. He is now setting the table and feeding the dogs and putting them outside when appropriate.


It is with joy and bitterness that we have made it this far. Joy because I am not needed for every minute of every day and bitterness because I am not needed every minute of every day. I guess I would have to weigh the joy with a greater percentage though. He is a great kid and big brother. He really can be a helper when needed and asked. However, with discovery of independence comes new phrases. Such as....
"Mommy, you are not listening to me!" and "I shouldn't have to put up with this!"
I am not sure where he heard the second one, because I KNOW I haven't said that one. He does just say it under his breath and has not said it to either one of us as a back-talk. Just waiting for that day. As for the "listening" comment, yes, I probably don't listen as much as I should, but that mouth is almost running non-stop! I'm trying to do better and he will be trying to say it in a sweeter tone of voice.

1 comment:

Falcone Family said...

It is sad for you! I think the toughest part for me is when Isabela insists that she can clean herself after going to the bathroom! That one is a hard one...