Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kitchen Concoction

Here's my latest easiest kitchen recipe.  Of course it is from my favorite recipe book, but I hadn't made it until a couple of weeks ago.  It's out of the vegetable section...need I say more.  But, really it works well as a vegetarian entree/casserole.  Stop and Smell the Rosemary by the Houston Junior is the end all be all of great showstoppers.  If only I could get my kids to try it, I know they'd like it.  Enjoy!

Tamale Pie

2 c. corn
1 c. chicken stock
1 c. masa harina (in the flour section at the grocery store)
1 can creamed corn
1 t. baking powder
2 T. melted butter

2 cans (15 oz.) black beans rinsed and drained
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. chili powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
pinch of cayenne
1/2 t. oregano
1/4 c. tomato paste
1 can (4.5 oz.) diced green chilies
8 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 c.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 7X11" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Puree corn briefly in a food processor.  Add creamed corn, stock, masa, baking powder, and butter and briefly pulse.  Set aside. 

Combine remaining ingredients, except cheese, in a large bowl and mix. 

Spread 2/3 of the corn mixture on the bottom of the baking dish.  Layer the bean mixture and cheese.  Top with remaining masa corn mixture.

Bake 1 hour.  Serve with salsa. 

1 comment:

Amber said...

Sounds very yummy Sister! I'm gonna have to try this one.