Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A New Title

Something has really been eating away at me for a few months now.  But, I just didn't know what I wanted to do about it.  It's my title.

You see, I have been in a tough "season."  There have been some not so "happy" happenings in the last 4 months.  That's a whole other blog for a day to come, hopefully soon, but I digress. 

My title of my blog was just not right.  I mean, yes I am very "happy" in my life and where God has taken me--my life,  my marriage, my kids, my relationship with Him.  But, stuff happens or literally for me sh** happens.

"Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.  For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing."  James 1:2

At Christmas, I saw on facebook a quote that really got me thinking more about it.  It was something like, "Happiness is what happens to you, joy is an attitude of the heart that is God given."   We can pursue happiness all we what, but it is how we interpret what happens to us that decides our happiness.  Joy is something that lasts; happiness is something that is temporary.  When happiness fades away, joy remains. Joy is something that is bigger than me and my current circumstances.  Joy brings us peace in the middle of a storm.  Joy is something that God deposits into us through the Holy Spirit.

I guess I had been using the words happy and joy as synonyms.  I know what I meant, but I also want others to understand this isn't something superficial.  It's God-given and God-centered. 

"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
and the cattle barns are empty,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord!
I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
The Sovereign Lord is my strength!
He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
able to tread upon the heights."  Habakkuk 3:17-19

So in keeping with the "Kid Church Song" theme, the new title is......

i've got the joy down in my heart

2 comments:

Jack said...

Good stuff.

Allison said...

Love it! And, just remember, if you ever need to talk, I am here.