Thursday, November 12, 2009

Oma Uldene Hill


Today we celebrated the life of a 94 year old woman I knew for a mere 12 years. But, in those years I discovered one of the most strong, independent and wise women I had ever met-Uldene Hill, Stephen's paternal grandmother.


One of my earliest memories of her was before Stephen and I married. We were at his sister's house to celebrate the Eagle Scout accomplishment of one of Karen's sons. I went to use the bathroom and in the middle of doing my business, in walks Uldene and proceeds to tell me, "Oh, it's ok, honey. Just keep doing your thing and don't worry about me." So, I pulled up my pantyhose in front of her, washed my hands and got out as fast as possible. She was no nonsense, matter of fact and all business.


After the passing of her husband in a car accident before Stephen was born, she was the matriarch--the boss. What Uldene wanted, it happened. People sprung into action. The thing is, she did it all in love and kindness, gaining the respect and honor of her entire family. She led a long, full and rich life selling real estate in her white Bronco up until the age of 85. She left a rich legacy and heritage in her family.


The preacher who was also a relative used the most wonderful scripture to describe Uldene. It fit her perfectly.


Proverbs 31:25-31

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.

When she speaks, her words are wise and she gives instructions with kindness.

She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness.

Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her.

There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!"


Charm is deceptive and beauty does not fade, but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.


Funny thing is though. She was beautiful last night. The best I have seen her in a very long time. Her skin was porcelien and so smooth. You might have thought she was only 60, instead of 94. Grandmama called it a "gravity" facelift. But, her beauty was deep all the way to her heart.


I am privileged to be married into a family where you can be a part of the love, but also take a step back and process and analyze all that you see. I'm one lucky girl to be a part of this wonderful family. I am blessed.




2 comments:

Elle Bee said...

Awww... I had an Oma, too. :)

Jack said...

That is funny! When we were in Grand Saline for a wedding shower she did the same thing to me!

--KK (I'm at Jack's house)