Tuesday, November 3, 2009

All Saints Day


There is so much to say that I don't even know where to begin and I feel like I don't even have the words to write about it this year. I had so many Saints to be thankful for having in my life this year. My sister blogged about her thoughts, and surprisingly, or not, it was somewhat what I have been feeling.


Stephen's Dad passed away a week ago and we had the funeral this past Wednesday. We were blessed with so many friends and family who called, texted, wrote, helped with kids and were there to support us. It was such a quick passing, but he isn't suffering anymore. We spent the entire week in Grand Saline and came home this evening. It was hard being there for a couple of reasons--#1 it's hard to mourn with kids hanging on you, but it gave me strength which is what the family needed and #2 I went through the very same thing with my dad 7 almost exactly 7 years ago. He was such a great, strong, loving man. I knew I was loved and I loved him just as if he was my own Dad. I will miss him dearly and I mourn for my kids, especially Kendrick who won't remember his time with him. Cavett did get to go to the funeral and the graveside service and he did very well. Hopefully, it will help engrain his memories of Grandaddy.


In September, I also lost my Mom's Dad, my Grampaw. Ultimately, it too was from a fast growing cancer. I pray for Gran, his wife, today as she celebrates her birthday without him. I have fond memories of sailing with him and waxing the boat, the smell of his woodshop, and fighting with him over the marrow in the bone of the Sunday roasts. He was a kind, gentle-hearted man with a joyful spirit. Also in September, I lost Great Aunt Alice who was also just as sweet as can be.


I pray that these three saints, along with my own Dadoo who went to be with Jesus 7 years ago today, will leave a lasting legacy upon me and my family and that they are rejoicing with God in heaven. I will miss them all here on earth, bu I know we wil be reunited again someday soon.


"In the end is our beginning; in our time infinity;

in our doubt there is believing; in our life, eternity.

In our death, a resurrection; at the last, a victory,

unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see."

~ Natalie Sleeth, 1986 Hymn of Promise

3 comments:

Allison said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Unknown said...

Such beautiful words, Jennifer. You all have been and will remain in our thoughts and prayers.

Claire said...

So greatly written. I am sorry for you and Stephen's loss(es). Hang in there! Hugs.