Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Literacy Thursday: Odd Numbers

**Welcome to Literacy Thursdays. This post is designed to highlight some of our favorite books in hopes that you will blog about yours. We are always looking for new books to discover. Literacy is so important and even at the youngest of ages is crucial to development. If you don't have children of your own volunteer at a school, read to a neighborhood child, but get involved. It's a great way to share quality time with the youngest of our society.

Here's the play by play: You blog about your book. Give me a shout out in your blog by creating a link to my blog and using my Literacy button. Then at the bottom of my post, you will find Mr. Linky. Sign your name and add the web address of your post. Your post will automatically be linked to mine leaving a list for all to peruse. I hope you will join us.**

This evening I introduced Cavett to the odd numbers through the use of "One Odd Day," by Doris Fisher and Dani Sneed. It's a story of one kid's literal "odd" day. Through the use of rhyme the boy discovers only odd numbers on his clock, that his dog now has 5 legs, and he has 7 bananas for lunch among other things. By the end of the story, he hopes that when he goes to bed all will be back to normal tomorrow, but alas, it is an even day! You can guess where that goes.

I'm not sure Cavett quite grasped it yet, but we shall read it again and there is a "For Creative Minds" page at the back which gives other activities to expound on the concept. I can't wait to dive into them this afternoon.

F.Y.I.--There is also a version with an "even" day and a "half" day.




1 comment:

Allison said...

I'll have mine up later this afternoon! Sounds like a fun book. The illustrations on the cover alone look fun!