Saturday, February 23, 2008

Heaven




This week has been extremely busy now that I am in a Cantare rehearsal period. We are preparing for a set of concerts in 2 weeks, so I am rehearsing about every other to every 3 days. It's consuming enough that it has cut into my work-out schedule! I haven't exercised since Tuesday. Anyway, I digress.


What I have been thinking about the past couple of days is heaven. Why you may ask? No, I am not suicidal and I don't have any crazy disease that I am dying of. But, everything in my life lately has all lined up and it pointing me that direction. I don't know why.


First, the concert Cantare is doing is called "The Ecstacies Above: Heavenly". We are singing Durufle's Requiem (which incidentally was written for Durufle's father's death), The Ecstacies Above by Tarik O'Regan, and a Brahms motet. I didn't really think anything of it. I love Durufle's Requiem and it is a piece I really don't have to practice as I studied it while working on my Masters in Conducting.


Second, I just finished "90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper. I had seen this book laying around my grandparent's house and thought-- Interesting. I wonder what it says. So, I saw it in Target a couple of weeks ago and bought it. I didn't even realize that the whole story takes place in and around Houston--places I am VERY familiar with including, Huntsville, Pasadena and the Medical Center. Two nights ago, as I was nearing the end, I realized I knew the author's daughter as a collegue as a choir director in the Clear Creek School district.


Third, my sister Candace posts a blog about a Renewed Earth and an article in Time magazine. Quite interesting stuff. So, after a quick discussion with her on the phone, she sends me some more info and a fascinating website (which explain's everything about the world you ever wanted to ask God) to look at to explain a bit more.


I am not sure why God is focusing me on "heaven" right now. But there must be a reason.
P.S.-- As I was searching for a picture to accompany I found this great artist on Flickr, Marketseq. He calls them VerseVisions Art. Cool ideas and paintings! Ok, upon further investigation, this guy has created Blurb books (which is also my publishing choice these days.) Check it out! I love it! He must know the Psalty tapes too!

2 comments:

Candace said...

God seems to do that ALL THE TIME to me... emphasizing a theme. Definitely something to it.

Falcone Family said...

Jennifer, you are splendid at doing your job as "mom, wife and friend" and you even seem to find the time to do things for yourself. Like I have said before, you are a woman to admire. I don't know how you do it all!