Thursday, February 26, 2015

Day 8 of My Lenten Journey

8.  Blame  

I am not going to pass the buck.  I will take responsibility for my actions.

Blame appeared early in the Bible.  Adam was quick to lay blame on Eve for eating the fruit.  But, ultimately, Adam chose to take that bite.  It didn't stop there.  The Israelites blamed Moses and Aaron for having to stay in the wilderness when they were sinful worshiping the golden calf among other instances.  Martha even blamed Jesus saying her brother would not have died, had Jesus been there.

Blaming others has been a human characteristic since the fall.  Little has changed because we are sinful people and God can justly blame us.  (Oh, that one little change was Jesus!)

"But God found fault with the people and said:  The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah."  Hebrews 8:8

Thankfully we can deal with this blame through confession and asking forgiveness, just like any other sin.

"For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.  Against you and you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight;  so you are right in your verdict and justified when you judge." Psalm 51:3-4

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in CHRIST God forgave you."  Ephesians 4:32

Another way to look at blame is as Christians we should live blameless lives, meaning without fault or sin.

"Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me.  Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression."  Psalm 19:13

Are we perfect?  No.  Will God help us and forgive us?  Yes, but only if we believe in his son, Jesus who died on the cross in our place giving us eternal life.

"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God." Philipians 1:9-11

No comments: