Saturday, February 28, 2015

Day 10 of My Lenten Journey

10.  Over-commitment

Over commitment and busyness and it's antithesis of laziness are both huge issues in our lives today. I struggle with this on a daily basis.  Not having a daily steady "job," I vacillate between the two. Some days I fill my hours with busy stuff and say "yes" to too many things when other times I could care less and just sit on my couch.  On a daily basis on the way to school, the kids and I pray in the car.  One of my petitions is to help me prioritize everyday to do what He would have me do.  On days when I don't do this, I can totally tell a difference, in a bad way!

In Exodus 18,  Moses was overwhelmed and over committed.  At the time, everyone came to him to settle disputes.  It sounds great, except for the fact that he was leading over 2 million people.  He was hearing arguments from sun up to sun down and it was just too much to handle.  Good for him that he had wise counsel from his father-in-law, Jethro.  Moses listened to him and chose capable leaders to hear the smaller disputes while Moses continued with the bigger ones.

The question is: is it a calling or over-commitment?  Is God asking us to do something or are we just saying yes just because?   Knowing if it is your calling, well, that's a whole other topic for another time!  But, there is a distinction between activity and doing the work and will called by God and if it is, how to execute it.

So, the idea is to listen for God's direction and do less better and accomplish more. When you commit, do it fully.

Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.   1 Corinthians 15:58

The idea is to prioritize-God, family, work.  I will continue to ask for God's help in prioritizing and to seek his will EVERYDAY.  Don't be over-commited, but be fully and steadfast in our commitment to God's work and will he has for our lives.  

No comments: