Saturday, February 21, 2015

Day 4 Lenten Journey

Epilogue:  It seems that today's and Thursday's attitude adjustment for Lent go hand in hand.  Two days ago we were talking about comfort zones.  Today it is patience.  I determined that I was being patient to see where God would ask me to take a big decision and step out of my comfort zone.  On Thursday afternoon he came knocking in my email and then confirmed the need on Friday morning.

Thursday afternoon I received an email asking me to do a 12 week elementary music substitution job
starting on August 17th.  You might say, that's not out of your comfort zone.  But, it is the longest job I've done by 5 weeks.  After 6 weeks, I'm usually done, period.  Not to mention, ELEMENTARY!!!!  That job is HARD, y'all.  It's taxing physically, vocally and mentally.   We are talking almost 900 kids from K-6th grade.  And, not to mention I would miss 8 weeks of my BSF Bible Study where they are beginning the new study on Revelation.

Well, that's when it dawned on me that God is pulling on me hard.  I had a face-to-face with said teacher Friday morning.  She proceeded to tell me--"I asked around about other music subs and no one gave me a name except yours.  Not just any sub can do this job!"  It was as if the Holy Spirit was speaking to me through this teacher saying, "Jennifer, this is why I pulled you out of BSF leadership 2 years ago to begin doing maternity leave for music teachers.  I have given you the gift of teaching and music to be a blessing to others.  This is where I can use you better."  

Then it hit me harder.  I am being SELFISH, AGAIN!  I am being selfish to want to do the BSF study on Revelation.  It's one of my favorite books of the Bible.  But the thing is, I have done a mini-study of it with BSF at a retreat 3 years ago.  I would also be taking up precious space in the class where there will be such a great need with so many wanting to get back in with this new study.  And, why should I take up space when I can still have access to the materials through Stephen and the kid's class.  I can still benefit in this way.

So, I didn't have to wait and be patient to hear God's call to step out of my comfort zone very long.  I will answer the call with an affirmative and pray for God's strength and endurance to run the race and fight the good fight of elementary school music.

On to today's attitude adjustment....

4.  Impatience

This one seems pretty easy to interpret and I definitely need to apply this one on an everyday basis, surface level.

Let's start here.  Where do we find our patience?  It doesn't come on our own accord or of our own efforts.    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Galatians 5:22  We must ask God to give us this blessing.  Usually on our morning car prayers on the way to school I'm either asking him for these or thanking him.

Another one of my favorites is Colossians 3:12.  Clothe yourself in tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  This one is on our chalkboard next to the back door to the garage for a very good reason.

If you haven't figured it out yet, the place where I need the most patience is getting out the door with kids.  I think I have the perfect timing and then BOOM, someone can't find their tennis shoes. Someone is missing their lunch.  Someone can't find their baseball bag.  Someone has lost their library book.  Where my fuse is the shortest is getting into the car and getting somewhere on time. There are other times it shows up too, though it is most always kid related.

The point is, I need to chose to be patient.  I need to not be impatient.  I need to stop.  Pray immediately and ask God for the Holy Spirit's fruit of patience.  It's as easy as that for me.

For you, it may be something else entirely.  The other patience the Bible speaks of is waiting on the Lord like I was speaking about earlier.  There are SO many wonderful verses for this.

But they that wait on the Lord shall renew their strength.  They shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint.  Isaiah 40:31

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.  Psalm 40:1

God is good to those that wait for him, to the soul that seek him.  Lamentations 3:25

Another aspect of being patient, is waiting on God's perfect timing.  I have had plenty of those opportunities in my 20's and 30's.  Thankfully, we are in a fine holding pattern for the time being with nothing pressing.  But, maybe you are waiting to find that perfect someone to spend your life with, waiting to become pregnant or give birth, waiting for a job opportunity.  Possibly you are waiting to have your house sell or to buy a new one.  Maybe it is waiting for healing physically or emotionally.

Whatever yours is, it is worth waiting for God's perfect timing because he will always have it right.

Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.  Proverbs 19:21

Though, this is what we are ALL waiting for on God's timing--His second coming.

Be patient, then brothers and sisters until the Lord's coming.  The farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains.  You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.  James 5: 7-8

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.  Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.  2 Peter 3:9

Come, Lord Jesus.  Revelation 22:20

I will continue to wait patiently on him, but come Lord Jesus.  This world and I are ready.







No comments: