Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Home Schooling

I might just could do this.....maybe....when Kendrick is older. 

School was cancelled today due to "severe and treacherous road and sidewalk conditions" and it's closed tomorrow as well.  We haven't left the house and have been in our pj's all day.  However, that doesn't mean that Cavett hasn't learned anything. 

Writing:  Cavett finished writing all his thank-you notes from his birthday.
Geography:  He chewed on his apple until it was the shape of the United States and we talked about where certain states were.
Reading:  He spent almost 1 hour reading his new Toy Story 3 story book with chapters.  Ok, and he watched one "Between the Lions."
Math:  We took a square piece of paper and folded it into halves over and over, talking about fractions and finding the pattern established when folding into halves. 
Art:  Made snowflakes out of the squares.
Religion:  I taught him my BSF lesson for tomorrow.
Music:  We played and sang "Sally Go Round the Sun"
Science:  With Dad, the boys made a ballon rocket ship on a string between two chairs and made hypotheses about different shaped balloons and how if they attached differently it effects the speed and distance. 
Instruction Following and Spatial Relations: Put together a 370 piece Toy Stoy 3 Lego set


Spelling: Played Bananagrams while waiting for dinner.

I think that is a full day's work and I didn't even plan it this way.  It just happened.  Hopefully, tomorrow will be more of the same and we won't have too much "stir craziness!"


2 comments:

Allison said...

Wow! Good for you. I don't have the patience. Both of my parents are teachers, but they joke that they always knew I would make a great parent, but NOT a good teacher...LOL!

Anonymous said...

I've been going to open houses and researching homeschool myself. From what I can tell that is about all there is to it at this age. I might end up having to do it.