Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Free Enterprise Lesson


I love this!  Cavett came up with this idea out of the blue!  He has been working hard at saving up his money to buy a Nintendo DS.  Something we would never buy him, especially at this age.  Today at lunch the conversation went like this:

Cavett:  Mommy, I want to open up a restaurant.

Mommy:  Why is that?

Cavett: Because I want to make some money to get a DS.

Moomy:  That is a great idea!  What kind of restaurant?  Is it an Italian restaurant, Mexican, Chipotle, or something like a Chick-fil-A?

Cavett:  The one like in Houston, you know with the ice cream, but not an ice cream store.

Mommy:  You mean Gringo's?

Cavett:  Yeah, that's the one. 

Dad then joins the conversation...

Dad:  So, what do you need to open the restaurant?

Cavett:  Build a building, unlock it, open it up and then there it is.

Dad:  Where are you going to get the money to build it?

Cavett:  From the bank.  I can use your money.

Mom: That's called a loan.  You borrow money from someone, but then you have to pay them back even more.  Like if I let you borrow 25 cents, you would have to pay me back 30 cents. 

Cavett:  That sounds like a good idea, I guess...

Mom:  Or you could just help me with the laundry and dishes and earn a few extra coins and keep collecting them for your DS. 

Cavett:  Alright!

It's great to see his free enterprising spirit!  I hope to nurture this, but keep the borrowing in check.  If only more would see this as the right way instead of leaning on the government to provide for them.

No comments: